This page is to serve as a resource for inspiration of educators, makers, students, and the broader community. We welcome ideas for additions to this list. These are in addition to the opportunities posted in our news feed includes contests, funding opportunities, and relevant local events. The opportunities posted, in total, have had prizes worth millions of dollars.
See the "educators" page.
Other Relevant Groups
FabLab Directory - closest is FabLab Carolinas in Durham
Hackerspace Directory - closest is SplatSpace in Durham
Makerspace Directory - Geared more for K-12 students.
NCSU Garage - They mainly support entrepreneurial ventures, rather than general technical experimentation. A great supplement to our resources, particularly if you want to turn a project into a business.
NCSU OpenDesign Lab - is an electrical lab and equipment (less interdisciplinary, organizes no workshops or outreach); We are seeking advisor approval to merge with them.
NCSU Libraries (esp. Hunt Library) - offers free, short-term checkout of Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and other technology (cameras, tablets, laptops, etc)
NCSU Hunt Library "Makerspace" - a campus 3d printing service (and with other related technologies like laser cutting and 3d scanning). Library staff operate equipment to produce parts using digital files that you provide. Has occasional workshops teaching 3d printing.
NCSU Craft Center - fee-based; classes and equipment for pottery, sculpture, photography, woodworking, fiber arts, lapidary, glass, jewelry.
TechShop Directory - TechShop RDU is closest (but student membership is $700/yr or $75/mo) Closed in Spring 2013
Member Pictures & Videos
#ncsumakerspace (Thingiverse tag) - 3d designs created by our members
Inspiration Around the Web
(in addition to those for educators)
To remove a link, please Contact Us. We only manage the list, not the content of external links.
- Arduino Visual Programming - Learn to program without worrying about syntax
- Backyard Brains - learn about neuroscience through electrophysiology experiments
- Original and Ostrich Egg-Bot Kits- developed by Bruce Shapiro after teaching his "Bits to Bytes to Bots" course
- Fab Labs - Global lab network of loaned fabrication equipment from MIT
- Hack a Day - Links and descriptions of individual technological projects
- Hackerspaces - Directory of places for working on projects with other people
- Instructables - Contests and instructions for creative projects, from crafts to technology
- Inventables - Source of high-end materials in small quantities
- Kickstarter - Crowd-sourced funding for creative projects and technology
- Makerspace - DARPA-funded project to bring hands-on technology to students
- MAKE Magazine - DIY technology magazine and project showcase
- OpenMaterials - Repository of relevant materials, tools, and techniques
- RepRap - Low-cost, self-replicating, DIY 3d printers
- Shapeways - Buy & sell designs and 3d printed objects
- SquishyCircuits - teaching circuits with DIY conductive play dough
- TED - Free talks by remarkable people, like...
- Thingiverse - hosts open-source, 3d object designs